Sunday, October 20, 2013

What was I thinking? Where have we been?

How is it possible our last blog posting was June 9th? That was over 4 months ago. Certainly not for lack of activity. Here is the short version of our explanation.

I (Paul) ended out needing to create/publish a collection of essays of my sophomore writing students. It was early June when I finally realized it would be almost impossible for me to get it done in time to return to America in late July. The days got really long. Thanks to amazing help from Ann, I finally pulled it off, but just barely.

Here it is:
 
"Advised" is a very large under/mis-statement

The partial Table of Contents lists some of the essays. I have read much about the lives of individuals in China during its last 50 years. This is my contribution to it and it is both amazing and precious to me. And it really tied up my time.

It was particularly interesting to assign the students to interview their grandparents and write about their lives at the same age as these college sophomores. Most of them had never heard of the Great Leap Forward nor the Cultural Revolution. They were moved, troubled, and changed by what they learned. It is nice to have it documented for them and their posterity. And for me.

In the meantime, in March, our daughter Laura got us using the app Instagram. We have loved it. While a blog posting feels like it needs enough going on to develop a theme, Instagram is for what is happening right now. As a result, when we see something or are involved in something very interesting, we have joined those who pull out a phone, shoot, and instantly put it on Instagram. We are amazed at how much closer we feel to everyone. In the 6 months we have been doing this, we have each posted perhaps 2 photos a week - none of which have made it to the blog in the last 4 months. Yet we are still committed to the blog. Just slow.

If you want to see our Chinese photos from Instagram, add grammaann and pwilson75 to your following list. You might enjoy it. As Laura said to me, "Dad, please just try it for a few weeks." We got hooked much sooner than that.

Instagram
instagram.com/Capture and Share the World's Moments. Instagram is a fast, beautiful and fun way to share your life with friends and family. Take a picture or video, choose a ...

3 comments: